01 FEB, 2020
The supply of masks and protective items is very stringent at the moment. Unscrupulous merchants hike the prices and gouge customers in need. The DAB accepted the generous donation of 50,000 masks from the Hong Kong Volunteers Federation and distributed them at five major districts, reaching around 10,000 local residents.
The DAB is making an effort to procure the masks globally, and give them away to the needy at a suitable time and place.
We strongly urge the government:
- To update the progress of worldwide sourcing of masks and other protective products, the number of such supplies reaching Hong Kong and their distribution in the market.
- To hand out masks which are not urgently needed to the general public for free.
- To give full support to suppliers to find new sources of masks and protective items and expedite the procurement process.
- To include masks and other protective products into the “Reserved Commodities Ordinance.
- To stop unscrupulous merchants from speculating, stockpiling and selling the substandard masks and other protective products.
- To ensure adequate supply of masks for the needy, hospitals, schools and frontline personnel.
Media Inquiries: Starry LEE, DAB Chairperson 7770 0820