On January 7th 11 DAB members met with Mr. HE Jing, the Deputy Director of the Central People Government’s Liaison Office in HKSAR, and expressed our concerns with the “unknown pneumonia” in Wuhan. We urge the Central Government and the government of Wuhan to enhance prevention and control measures to prevent the spread of the disease. Mr. HE responded that the Liaison Office will reflect the advices of the DAB to the Central Government and relevant departments.
Our suggestions include the following:
- Take every measure to save patients.
- Identify and trace the origins and pathology of this “unknown pneumonia”.
- Strengthen the communication between the National Health Commission, the Wuhan Health Commission and the Food and Health Bureau of HKSAR so as to share information instantly.
- Release latest progress in prevention and control work on a daily basis to stabilize public sentiment and counter rumors.
- Enhance screening of travelers traveling between Hong Kong and Wuhan at airports and land route ports and take appropriate measures on travelers with health risks.
- Strengthen the dissemination of health messages to travelers traveling between Hong Kong and Wuhan on flight, airports, land route ports and XRL.
As the transportation during the Lunar New Year is starting soon, the Central Government should strengthen its monitoring to prevent “unknown pneumonia” from spreading through the transportation.
The DAB will meet the Food and Health Bureau of the HKSAR shortly to express our concerns with the “unknown pneumonia” and discuss ways to enhance prevention, treatment, community hygiene and public awareness. The DAB will also organize activities to appeal the public to observe personal and environmental hygiene.
Media Inquiries: Starry LEE, DAB Chairperson 7770 0820